Thursday 8 April 2010

Just Children

They’re just children
Growing up to be adults in a house full of kids.
And I’m just a visitor who plays games.
But they’re affecting me.

Beya’s big eyes;
Genalyn’s giggle;
Hannah Joi’s joy.
In a moment, I’ll walk next door and they’ll see me.
Kuya Tiiim, Kuya Tiiim,
And they’ll throw their arms around me,
And press their faces against my legs as they hold on tight.
Effhia and Patricia will stand slightly further back,
Watching.

What they’ve seen,
What they’ve all seen.
Misery, misuse.
Pain.
Not forgotten
But this is a happy home.

And these are just children
Growing up to be adults in a house full of kids.

Appear, Disappear
It’s a game of handclaps with Daniel Zabel
While Angel skips and Hannah Eliza cares for a kitten
By the neck.
And laugher’s just swept us all up
And left us in a bundle of giggles next to the playhouse.
I don’t want their smiles to disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment