Tuesday 6 April 2010

Tuesday 6th April

Today we went back to Gerry’s jail. It was our second prison visit of the day and – like last week, we spaced out the two of them with a trip to a big shopping mall in San Fernando. As we entered the first jail this morning, Lynne and my mum turned to me and asked whether I would be doing my testimony again. I said that I hadn’t brought my notes but thought that I could probably remember most of it anyway. I thought Lynne had been joking when she said I’d be delivering it more than once but it actually felt just as easy without prompts as it did with them. As I sat back down, the pair of them asked me how I’d change it if I was to deliver it a third time infront of Gerry. I said I’d think about it.

As the afternoon went on, I kept getting mixed messages. First they told me Tony would be giving his testimony, so I need not bother. Then they thought that the service might be split into two and that I’d need to speak at one of them. Then we heard that Gerry was in hospital with high blood pressure and the talk turned to whether we could afford to pay for his treatment.

As the coach pulled into Pampanga County Jail it still wasn’t clear what was going on. Eventually we found out there would only be one service. But Tony didn’t fancy giving his testimony, so mine was back on. I asked whether someone could find out about Gerry’s condition and it turned out that he wasn’t being kept in hospital at all. Although he had been in for an ECG scan, he was back at the prison and was planning to lead the worship.

We walked out and the service began. This really was a prison like no other. The ministries at the other jails are enthusiastic affairs but this seems to involve most of the inmates. This afternoon, hundreds of them joined in a chant-off around the four sides of the square. Gerry numbered the different groups of inmates and as he shouted, “Uno,” a pocket of prisoners would shout back, “Jesus saves”. Then he’d say “Quarto” and another group would chant back, “God is love.”

I was called to the stage off the back of the worship session. I’d changed the ending of the testimony a little so that it didn’t seem as though the only thing I’d memory I’d take from Pampanga County Jail revolved around Gerry, but the sentiment remained the same. He cried. Once again, the service felt more like a religious festival than a gathering of inmates. And it isn’t just because there are dogs and children wondering around. Towards the end, around thirty came forward for prayer at Pastor Jimmy’s invitation. Before we left, they called our group up on stage for a group photograph. Brian, John and Alan handed their cameras out to the inmates to catch the moment. All the equipment came back.




After a long trip home, everyone’s pretty tired this evening. Mum’s one to bed with a migraine and even Becky and Saskia have turned in early. We had a late dinner before bed. As we were finishing the first course, the chef proudly walked in carrying a dish for desert. She stood back and smile, explaining that she’d made a local dish for us. The pudding looked like a magnolia coloured mousse with cheese on the top. And there was loads of the stuff, enough for at least three big portions each. Ian volunteered to pass it out and the chef handed him a knife. It turned out the substance was more like a jelly and it had sweetcorn in the middle. I managed two mouthfuls. It tasted sweet but vary savoury. And the cheese made it even stranger. Everyone else was very polite and finished their serving. John was in hysterics and even Val was pulling faces. Tony and Marian who never have a problem with any food loved it and Tony even had a second helping. The food’s been lovely so far. I hope the chef doesn’t mind that we’ve left so much of her masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment