Tuesday 6 April 2010

My Testimony

Good morning. I want to talk about the faith I’ve seen since I arrived in the Philippines. My group travelled to Subic almost two weeks ago, to help at the Philippines Outreach Centre’s Children’s home. We’ve painted, we’ve played with the young people and we’re still working on two kitchens that need repairing. We’ve even been guests of honour at a school graduation where we’ve handed out awards.

But it isn’t our efforts that I want to talk about. Since we’ve arrived, we’ve met so many people who’ve challenged us and encouraged us. And all of those people are making a difference because they’ve chosen to believe in Jesus Christ.

First there are the leaders of the P-O-C. Chrissie, Lito, Pastor Jimmy and others. They’ve given support and hope and love. And the children are beautiful and educated and raised knowing the word of God. Both the boys’ and the girls’ homes are happy places to be.

Then there are the people like you who we’ve met on numerous trips to jail. I know many of you have spent years locked up, often because the justice system is too busy. But despite your lack of freedom, we’ve shared with you in praising God for helping you where you are. The Spirit is with you.

One man in particular has stood out. When I arrived at his jail, I thought he was the governor. He seemed happy and confident and full of grace. He led the service we attended at his jail. Then, when he started singing, I thought he was a worship leader brought in from outside. So many inmates were joining in his worship songs, the service felt like a carnival.

But Gerry is a prisoner. He sleeps in a small room with 40 other men. And he’s been there for 15 years. His faith doesn’t just keep him going – it’s having an effect on the whole prison. And even though he’s locked up, his belief in Jesus Christ extends beyond the jail’s walls.

Today I give thanks for Gerry and for the leaders of the P-O-C and for the children in their care. And for everyone at this jail. When I travel home to the UK at the end of the week, I plan to take all your stories with me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment